Sunday, June 21, 2009

Residence Life

Im here balancing myself on a wire, "No, i can't look down, Just don't look down." I was scared, so afraid even though i secured to a harness that risk or fear still lingers and i feel myself breathing heavier and heavier. I focus on my steps and listen to my team mates and before i know it im secure on the platform. The high ropes course was one of the many activities we as summer scholars did during our stay at Scott Hall.
As Summer Scholars we have the privilage of spending a week at Scott Hall, one of the residences on the UNO campus. We stay the whole week with three other people in one dorm. We share bathrooms and eventually share more about ourselves as people and now as students at UNO.
We had to learn how to balance ourselves. Like on the High Ropes course we had to manage our fears but also learn how to manage our time and by doing so managing mounds of homework. We all encourage eachother and did our homework together. My roomates were responsible for me, as I was for them. The experience was great and it helped me learn to manage my time and to take commitments seriously.
My roomates would look out for me. One of my roomates Ebony woke me up several times when my lousy cell phone alarm wouldnt go off. either that or I would not even hear it. She would make sure i was awake so i could get breakfast and be in class on time. The least I could do for her was get her a bagel from where i work; Panera.
Luckily a friend of mine was able to cover two days of work so that i could enjoy my stay at scott hall. But the second night was difficult when i had to work and was given a lot of homework. I came home tired and nasty, but i still managed to get my reading and homework done on time, but the showering part was delayed until the next day.
Overall my stay at Scott Hall was enjoyable. I built many relationships and even started a facebook group page for the summer scholars. The friends a made will stay with me for years to come but the memories will last for much longer. Thanks to everyone for making my stay so enjoyable, and I hope that I in turn made it as enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment